With spring in full swing we now finally have some of our favorite vegetables back in season. Mine happens to be asparagus, which means I can cook it fresh from the garden. Instead of a traditional chicken and asparagus dish, I enjoy this one because of the complex flavors it introduces. Savory yet still simple to make. This recipe serves three to four people and is very filling.
For this recipe you will need:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup of chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 bunch of asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- Lemon zest
Now to the best part, how to make it!
- Cook asparagus and oil in a skillet over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. When 1 minute remains, add garlic. Set asparagus and garlic aside.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Increase heat to high and cook chicken until browned.
- Set chicken aside and add soy sauce and chicken broth to the skillet. Bring to a boil for about 1 minute. Add lemon juice, water, and cornstarch and stir for about 1 minute.
- Return chicken and asparagus to pan. Coat with sauce, top with lemon zest and serve!
This is a quick family recipe that all are sure to enjoy!
Southern Illinois University