Tractor Sunset1. Family farmers start working at sunrise and don’t stop until well after sunset.Corporate farmers work a 9 to 5 job.

2. Family farmers enjoy a family picnic in the field. Corporate farmers eat lunch with executives and other co-workers.

3. Family farmers work all summer to prepare for harvest. Corporate farmers have the time to take a vacation anywhere they desire.

Boy caring calf 4. Over half of family farmers have a full-time job and farm as a hobby because it’s their true passion. Corporate farmers make plenty “farming.”

5. Family farmers are interested in the good of the animals and the community. Corporate farmers are interested in money and profits.

6. Family farmers try to put an emphasis on conservation practices. Corporate farmers focus mainly on business practices.

7. Family farmers know that Paul Harvey was correct about why “God Made a Farmer” Corporate farmers believe that it was just a Super Bowl commercial meant to sell trucks.

FFA Awards8. Family farmers know the importance of FFA to allow students to develop “premier leadership, personal growth, and career success.” Corporate farmers only see a group of kids in a blue corduroy jacket.

9. Family farmers are able to diversify themselves with many crops or animals to manage the risk of the prices dropping. Corporate farmers usually deal with only one area of the market.

10. Family farmers live a lifestyle, versus corporate farmers only have a job.

As you can see there is no such thing as a corporate farmer that actually does the farming. There are corporate owned farms, but the farmers actually doing the planting, harvesting, and maintenance are the down-to-earth family farmers. According to the USDA about 93% of farming operations in the United States are family run, leaving only 7% being owned by corporations. How many times have you seen a man in a suit planning corn? If you can’t think of any you probably never have because that would be memorable!


Jessica ProbstJessica Probst
Missouri State Universtiy


For the first day of Dairy Month, we thought this post would be a great one to bring back.

During a recent grocery store tour, one Chicago area mom asked, “How do hormones in milk effect growing boys and girls?” The answer might surprise you!!


This blog post by Amina Bennett Nevels is another great way to learn more about milk from the mouth of your peer instead of farmers or marketing agencies. Amina writes, “If you check out the labeling on organic milk you’ll notice big bold lettering declaring the milk to be antibiotic-free and well worth the $7 a gallon you’re prepared to pay. Well here’s news for you…ALL dairy milk sold in the U.S. is antibiotic-free! When a cow is on antibiotics, it is labeled with a bright colored leg band to alert the farmer and farm-hand that the cow’s milk should be dumped until the animal is healthy and the antibiotics are no longer in the milk.”